Home  |  As Featured On  |  Advertising  |  Parties I Like!  |  Contact Me  |  About  |  Shop


Sunday, January 9, 2011

DIY Dog Leash

In honor of our new little doggie Choco, this past Christmas I decided to count in man's best friend on the nice list. I made some dog leashes and they were SO quick and easy! This would make a great gift for a new dog owner, a doggie birthday or file it away for another Christmas.

You will need some ribbon, webbing and a dog leash hook thing. There are a few ways you can get the hooks. One, go to a hardware store, they sell them there. Two, go to the dollar store, buy a leash and cut it apart (this works well for small dogs). Or three, do what I did, find the hooks at Goodwill for like .50, buy them, hold onto them for a year and then hunt them down to make a leash.



I did two different versions of the leash, so that's why you will see different webbing and ribbon in some pictures.

Begin by pinning the ribbon down the length of the webbing. I believe my webbing was about 3 yards long, but you can chose your own length depending on how long you want the leash to be.

Carefully sew as close to the edge of the ribbon as possible, all the way down the length.

After you have sewn along both sides of the ribbon, fold over one side to make the handle of the leash.

Sew and reinforce.

At the other end of the leash, sew and reinforce the hook onto the webbing.

And there you have a dog leash! It takes like 10 minutes!!


And some doggies to model the leashes!


I will be linking to these parties this week- hope to see you there!

25 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! I have a female rottweiler and my husband refuses to use cute collars and leashes on her (he says it takes away from her intimidating look, haha). I might have to make one of these for when I take my girl for walks! She deserves to be stylish too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute! I don't have a dog... but I'll have to make some for gifts :)




    foundintheali.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this (and need this)! My sweet little doggies like to chew through their dog leash! bad dogs...

    I would be honored to have you add it to my blog party

    Amaze Me Monday Blog Party

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making jazzy dog leashes and collars, clothes too! LOL You did a super fab job! And your chee-wow-wow is too cute. I have one too, Ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great craft---cant wait to make one for my dog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is sooo adorable and soo are the doggies! I may have to try one in bunny size for Rosie.. Thanks for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I love this and it looks super easy. I think my dog is about due for a new leash! Thanks for showing me how!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a great job and really saved some bucks. What a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dogs will be the envy of all the others around town now! Those leashes look great!

    Thanks for linking to A Round Tuit. Hope you have a lovely week.

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Question: did you have to use a different needle or anything? I'm a very basic sewer, and just wondering if the standard needle that came with my sewing machine is sturdy enough to get through the heavy "webbing" material?? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too precious and easy!! Love it! Thanks so much for linking up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are SO cute and look so easy to make. My little Daisy needs a whole wardrobe of them!
    Best,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are wonderful!!! You should look at putting those on Etsy or something. People like pampering their pooches (me included). :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. so very cute!! my girls will love their new leashes! thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are TOO CUTE!!!!! Thanks so much for linking them up at gettin' crafty on hump day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the instructions. I have a 4 pound chihuahua, and like you, I love making things for her. Haven't made a leash yet because I've been too intimidated. Would hate to lose her in public because I messed it up. Your instructions make it look easy, so I might try it sometime. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is so cute! and the possibilities are endless.....I hope that you will add this to my Show and Share Sunday linky party, its open all week. http://craftygeordi.blogspot.com/2011/01/show-and-share-sunday.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay so your dogs face is hilarious! Love this idea!! Thanks for sharing and linking this up today! :D

    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great tutorial, so easy (except the whole sewing in a straight line for 3 whole yards)! Cutie puppies, too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is soooo cute! And it looks so easy...even I might be able to do it! Amazing!

    Thanks for linking up!

    Ashley
    www.simplydesigning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Following you from Fun Follow Friday! Please visit us at http://thissahmsworld.blogspot.com. Look forward to following you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. over from tater tots and jello. thanks so much for posting this i love it, need a new leash too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How cute. We have a Long Haired Chihuahua too and he is just a sweetheart.

    Fellow Blog Hopper:)

    http://www.giveawayswithgrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have a Pekingese so putting stylish collars him get lost in his fur. But his leashes, yes I do have a few nicer ones. He could use a few more...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails