Home  |  As Featured On  |  Advertising  |  Parties I Like!  |  Contact Me  |  About  |  Shop


Sunday, October 18, 2009

Headboard Heaven

For the past year and a half, I have blissfully entered Slumber-Heaven with nothing to lay my weary head upon. My bed sat against a cold, hard wall, and was just a simple frame. There was nothing to it, and I never really thought much about it. In fact, do we really know why things like headboards were created in the first place? I decided to do a little research about my next craft project and here is what I found out:

For years the primary purpose of the headboard was to help keep pillows in place while in use. (Finally- a justification for our designer pillows, ladies!) The headboard can, however, serve several additional purposes. A headboard may include shelves that can be used to place decorations or lamps to use while reading in bed. A headboard may include cabinetry and other storage areas.

In addition to being used in the home, a headboard is often included with hospital beds as well. In this case, the headboard serves as an area to store vital medical materials that need to be accessed easily. Similarly, the headboard may serve as a storage area for hygiene products or items nurses may need to access easily when cleaning the room, such as extra linens for the bed or napkins and other items the patient may need.

Now, I don't know about all of you, but when I lay down at night to fall asleep, the last thing I am thinking about is why God created headboards. I guess we will just chalk it up to that fact that while a headboard and a footboard are not necessary pieces of a bed, they can both be useful. In addition, both the headboard and footboard can help transform a plain and ordinary bed to the centerpiece of a bedroom.

My bedroom needed a centerpiece. My back needed a back rest. My pillows needed a catch-all. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to thee my homemade headboard.

(Much love and credit to my mother and fellow RedHeaded crafter, who continuously teaches me to never quit in the middle of a craft project. She was the brains and brawn of the project, with a sweet staple-gun technique.)


1 comment:

  1. love this! I would love to see how this was made, i am in need of a headboard myself! just found your blog, love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails