Home  |  As Featured On  |  Advertising  |  Parties I Like!  |  Contact Me  |  About  |  Shop


Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day of the Dead - Part One

As a Spanish teacher, I enjoy learning about Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead). As a Halloween-loving human being, I enjoy anything skeletal/creepy during the month of October. Put the two together and it makes for a *spook*tacular combination. You may remember my teaser a few weeks back, and I have been really excited to share this with you, so here goes!

The initial inspiration for this project came from my Aunt Sue, who saw it in a crafting magazine. We ended up changing it up quite a bit in the end.

I know it sounds weird, but, start with a wedding cake topper and a hacksaw. (Yikes! I am smiling as I type this.)


Don't worry, this Bride and Groom are having so much fun, they won't even realize their heads are falling off...

Now take some skeletons (available at Michael's and The Dollar Tree) and chop away some more. The following picture looks like a scene out of a scary movie.

Hot glue the skeleton heads onto the Bride and Groom's bodies.

Be careful, they fall off very easily!

Next, use your fingers to put modeling clay all over your figurines and let it dry completely.

I wanted to add some fake flowers to my lady's dress, so I stuck them into the modeling clay. If I did it again, I would have just hot glued them on, they would have stayed better.

After that, I spritzed mine very lightly with a bit of white spray paint.

When the spray paint is dry, I used some stencil paints to color in my people. I used some browns, grays and even a blue for the Groom's tux.

Paint on some bone details to their hands, chests and teeth with white. Now you have one ghouly groom and bride!



You can stop here and put your creepy couple on display, or you can join me next weekend for part two, to see how I am displaying mine. I will also have three other versions to show you since my Mom, Aunt and cousin all made one. Until then, our Bride and Groom will have to live Hauntingly Ever After...

I will be linking to these parties this week.

34 comments:

  1. Great idea. Very creative and spooky!


    www.theelephantstrunk42.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. tooooo creepy! :) you did a fabulous job. way to go!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for following me! that is too scary! haha but you did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love these when I go to Mexico. Everyone thinks I am a little odd, but who cares, right?! They are so crazy expensive and you have recreated them perfectly I love them. My favorites in Mexico are always the brides. Great job and fun to share with your class. Have them do it as a project. They will never forget you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great. You did an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them! I want some life size ones for my porch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! I love it! Wonder what I could dehead and redo?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a transformation....I just might have to do this!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy skeleton Batman! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously Freaky!!!! But cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I want to make a Halloween costume like this! How am I going to get my hubs to agree to let me saw off his head....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this turned out great. I saw this idea in the current "Cloth, Paper, Scissors" but I like yours even better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. INGENIOUS!!! I cracked up laughing seeing all those little heads lying in a pile!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG! I LOVE these!!! New follower via Today's Creative Blog link party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cool! I love that pic with the heads piling up. That itself would make a great Halloween scene! Spotted your link at Whatever Goes Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! so creative...and i love dia de los muertos displays. i saw a fun beatles one in mexico before.

    www.thecapeonthecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, man, is that ever awesome! VERY imaginative indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is impressive! at the sawing bit i was thinking 'i could do that', at the gluing bit i thought ' i could do that', at the white spray paint i thought the same, but anything after that: hell no!! i could never do that! it came out looking sooo cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sick. Inspired but sick.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's freaky. But that's the point, right?! And you did a terrific job! Thanks for stopping by and linking to Anything Related!
    {Rebekah}

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fantastic idea! I love it. I'd love for you to link this up to my Halloween party this weekend! I love the uniqueness! I miss my Day of the Dead parties in Spanish class.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are great! Not just bride and groom but there are other possibilities also.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Who would have ever thought? I guess you. They are spooktacular.

    ReplyDelete
  24. this is so awesome! like every picture I was impressed that you went further!!

    Here from FFF, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh i saw this project in Cloth, Paper and Scissors! I was wondering who in the world would want to make it and here you are! i think this is amazing! they've really decayed in your hands! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
  26. lol WOW, that's pretty spooky. love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. At first I didn't know whether to run or stare--a hacksaw to those little heads! This is hilarious and the result is amazing. I always love those day of the dead skeletons! Great job!! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  28. We featured this today as one of our favorite {FRIGHTENING FRIDAY} Halloween ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are totally cute! I can see making a whole family, well wedding party -I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fantastic!! Thanks for letting me highlight this on my blog.

    Maggie
    http://ceodraiocht.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails