Home  |  As Featured On  |  Advertising  |  Parties I Like!  |  Contact Me  |  About  |  Shop


Sunday, October 17, 2010

Tabletop Witch's Hat

Here's a fun, different idea from the traditional Halloween decorations- a Tabletop Witch's Hat.

Got an old pattern for a witch's hat laying around? If not, go online and find one! I wanted mine to be slightly nontraditional, so I used jean fabric.


Sew the triangles together and turn right side out.

This is where I went "off pattern." Instead of following the pattern, cut a long strip of fabric.

Fold it in half and sew it together the long way, pleating it as you go.


Pin the pleated hat brim to the hat.


Sew it on.

This is what it should look like so far.

Cut a piece of felt that will fit the opening of the hat.


Pin the felt in place, leaving an opening large enough for your hand to stuff the stuffing.

Sew the felt on part way, again, still leaving the opening. Then stuff the stuffing in nice and tight.

Sew the rest of the way closed. It doesn't matter what the seams look like, since this side will be facing down.

Paint the hat all over with black paint and let dry.

Sand in various areas to age the denim.

Tea stain some cheesecloth strips. Then tie onto your hat.

Add in some dried flowers.

And you know what they say.. if the shoe- er... hat fits...



I will be linking to these parties!

AND, join me tomorrow for an extra special giveaway for Red Heads Craft More Fun's First Birthday!!

20 comments:

  1. Mad skills! I really like this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do such nifty things--very clever, and I love this one. Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great!!!! I love this decoration :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time to your blog via MI4M but I'll be returning! This is a great Halloween decoration. Will have to make one for next year. Thanks for sharing.

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea!! I love this hat! Thanks for linking to A Round Tuit!

    Hope you have a lovely week!

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is darling! What a fun idea for a centerpiece =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, so crafty you are! I'd love for you to link it up and show it off, it would go perfect with my Halloween Party link up party. http://texasmonkey.blogspot.com/2010/10/all-about-you-monday-link-up_18.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done and it looks great! Love the cheesecloth and flowers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you tea-stained the cheese cloth. I could use that idea for so many things in my shabby chic house! Cheese cloth is a texture that adds a powerful punch at this time of year.

    I'm visiting from the Santa's Gift Shoppe Monday Blog Hop! Get a free copy of my Christmas ebook (Jesus Does Not Care and Other Christmas Stories) when you stop by. I'm #75 Donating to Charity This Season?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way this turned out...cute, and a little spooky! Perfect for halloween dinning! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks amazing! Lots of nice little touches!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is great! Found you on Today's Creative Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE it! Very creative! We appreciate you stopping by and joining us for Anything Related!
    {*Rebekah*}

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cute, Courtney! There are so many possibilities for customizing and changing it up, too. Nice job--thanks so much for linking :).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stopping by from Fun with Fabric Thursday! What a great project. I love that you mixed it up by using the denim, and then painting it black. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea for a table decoration! Love the denim idea. Great stuff. Thanks many much's!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wanted to let you know I featured this :).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails