Home  |  As Featured On  |  Advertising  |  Parties I Like!  |  Contact Me  |  About  |  Shop


Saturday, December 4, 2010

Shattered Ornaments

So last week I began putting my Christmas tree up. The hubby and I have a tradition of watching Muppet's Christmas Carol and putting out the decorations. However, this year, we decided we would put the tree in our front living room. This means no Muppets and no help from hubby (he was busy working on a few things of his own). Things were going great, but I must mention that I was having the type of day where you injure yourself repeatedly (stubbed my toe, hit my funny bone, bumped my head, etc). I was just thinking about how lovely some of my ornaments are and what great memories they bring, when CRASH!


Bye, bye ornament. At this point, I just wanted to cry. Do you get attached to your ornaments like I do? It really made me think about traditions and ornaments and how a lot of Christmas trees tell a story.

My husband and I pick out an ornament every year. We date the bottom and hang it on the tree. It's a tradition my mom started when my brother and I were born and I used to get SO excited to pick out my ornament every year. It is fun to look back at some of the ones I picked out and remember the things I was doing at that time in my life. There are Barbie ornaments and lambs and ballet shoes and teddy bears and so much more. At least this particular ornament wasn't one of our "special" ones, but it still hurt to watch it shatter.

I cleaned up my ornament and told my husband I was giving myself a time out. At which point the dog ran under the Christmas tree and decided she had to use the Christmas tree skirt as her puppy pad. Hopefully that will not become a yearly tradition.

What are some of your holiday traditions?

4 comments:

  1. Oh I am sorry!!!! Even though it wasn't one of your favorites it still hurts :(

    Happy Holidays!

    Suzann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm like that with ornaments too! What a great idea to pick out a special one every year! You must have some fantastic memories on your tree!

    Ours goes up next week - and we just got a free copy of the Muppet Christmas Carol with the newspaper yesterday, so we'll have to watch that too!

    Oh, and I actually popped by to tell you a featured your lovely Christmas banner on my round tuit post this week:

    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/2010/12/round-tuit-26-and-day-28-of-45.html

    Thanks for linking up! Hope you have a great week!

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do that with ornaments too although many don't have a year on them. When I got married, my Mom sorted out all of my ornaments from growing up and that year we had ornaments on our tree from throughout my life. Each year, I let our kids pick out an ornament, so when they begin their adult life, they'll have a treeful of memories too. I'm sorry one of yours got broken, it is a painful thing.
    PS Love the new PB topper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog post about "Shattered Ornaments" is truly captivating, and the creative way you explore shattered elements is intriguing. As I read through your artistic journey, it reminded me of how we all enjoy adding a touch of creativity to various aspects of our lives, including the way we shop.
    does 711 take cash app

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails